If you want to keep your car running forever you cannot avoid repair, no matter how reliable is you car. But each car needs a special approach.
Proper belt tensioning
One of the causes of bearing failure can be attributed to overload and overstress conditions. Tightening any rubber belt you should remember: the tighter is the belt the sooner the bearing of the unit driven by this belt will be damaged. So, if the generator belt will skid slightly when you start the engine, or this will happen to the power steering belt, there is nothing dangerous in it. On the contrary, it suggests that the belts are not overtensioned and bearings will serve longer.
Before starting to adjust the valves, or valve clearances, measure the existing clearances. All valves are can not be adjusted at one time.
Adjust the valve clearances to the size of the smallest clearance.
In Japanese cars there valve clearances are not smaller than 0.15 mm and even such small clearances from 0,35 to 0,45 mm are only on diesel engines. Usually the clearance is 0,20-0,25 mm.
Any overseas oil seal can be replaced by a domestic one, just make sure it is of the same rotation.
The direction of rotation is indicated by the line of the acting surface of the oil seal, or sometimes by an arrow on the oil seal housing.
But still you will have to agjust something, to make bushings, etc.
If the car sank, i.e. it has been under water:
- As quickly as possible change the oil in all units.
- Special attention should be paid to cars with automatic transmission.
- If you drive with water in automatic transmission at least for three more days, it would finally die.
Manual gearbox and engine are more tolerable to water procedures, but it is also necessary to run everything off and to fill it with new oil.
- The oil filter should be replaced.
- Having removed the plugs, you have to fill each cylinder of the engine with about 100 grams of oil and “bar over” the engine a few times.
- DO NOT TURN ON IGNITION until the following details are removed, disassembled and dried: the distributor, the commutator with ignition coil, the unit EFI block, the "Emission Control" block.
- If buying a new car radio is not included in your plans, you have to remove and disassemble you car radio for drying.
- To speed up the process of drying use of pure ethyl alcohol.
- It is best of all when all the electric motors (starter, generator, oven motor, windshield wiper motor etc.) that had been under water, will be dismantled and the lubricants will be replaced.
- Lubricants in all bearings that had been under water must be replaced
- In addition, it is necessary to drain the water out of the petrol tank, to dry the car horn.
- All the relays under the instrument panel should be dried separately. And the sooner you do all this, the better.
- Carpeting is also usually removed, washed and dried.
Reliability of all units and mechanisms of a vehicle that has been under water is sharply reduced, if preventive measures are not undertaken.
Too many units of a Japanese car are interchangeable with the units of other Japanese cars. At one time we were shocked by the fact that a distributor from the VAZ-2108 completely matched the car "Santana".
Therefore, your clutch disc, the oil sensor, and other car parts can be without any alteration installed on a car even of the other firm, because all these units are made by "the third" companies, so do not search, for example, for a starter to a "Pajero" car. It's an expensive car and spare parts to it are also expensive, of course. Take your broken starter and go to the shops. You'll probably find some other starter, of a cheaper car. You may have to rearrange a mounting flange of the starter to the gearbox.
All rubber gets old
If your car's mileage is about 50000 km and the timing belts are designed for 100,000 miles, it is desirable to pay attention to this fact. Maybe the car has been staying somewhere in Japan for two years , and two years is the warranty period even for rubber boots.
Even a small leak of the front oil seal of the crankshaft can lead to the penetration of oil on the timing belt, resulting in its slipping . For diesel engines and some gasoline engines it can lead to a serious damage.
Based on site auto.rin.ru